Fantastic Plastic

A menagerie of the miniature works that keep my fragile mind sane and my nimble fingers nimble - welcome to the gallery of my perpetual childhood! Now remember, its not about the kits or subjects. Its about the story behind each and every one of them. Enjoy!

14.5.06

Dragonstrike

Back when DML, or Dragon Models Limited, first came out in the mid-90s, my hobby world was stunned by seeing quality kits produced by something other than Tamiya. For the first time, there were 1/35 subjects that we haven't seen before, and it was for me the start of a Silver Age for modelling. I was in the middle of my advertising career then, and I had a disposable income that I didn't want to put into the usual mortgages, rent or car plans. No way. Dragon kits were coming out, and it was a great time to start modelling again.

The M4A1 Sherman came out, and I knew I wanted to build it as a British Sherman I in Alamein colors. I didn't know how to, as the wide, wide world of the web wasn't there yet, but I knew I had to. I actually saved up for it, hopped onto a bicycle and pedaled to Special Hobbies in Cubao, and got the kit into a knapsack. I was ecstatic.

And that is a true example of Dragonstrike. You get hyped up so much for something, and the drive pushes you to building the best you can possibly build. I scratchbuilt the sand skirts and jerry can rigs. The gear came out of odds and ends from the spares. I tried to dust it up so much the camo scheme got buried. But hey, I was happy. Nowadays, Dragon still does it time and again with the new kits they come up with in great prices. Metal barrels. Etch parts. Fantastic subjects. Its a great time to be a modeller today.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home